Job Summary: In this role, you will be responsible for compliance management of WRI’s grants, contracts and subawards in Africa. This includes funding award and subaward administration support as well as procurement and compliance guidance. Under the supervision of WRI Africa’s Regional Operation Director and in conjunction with WRI’s Global Director of Grants and Contracts, you will work closely with operations and program teams to ensure strict compliance with WRI Global policies, donor regulations and mandated laws.
- Develop, maintain, and process grants/contracts files meeting legal and auditing requirements.
- Review proposed procurements to ensure they satisfy requirements and advise staff in the preparation of contracts.
- Perform random audits against reports from subgrantees
- Review and approve agreements which are in line with all WRI policies.
- Serve as initial respondent on policy and process questions from staff in Africa, referring questions as necessary to the relevant WRI expert.
- Proposal liaison – help Programs adapt and implement proposal development policy especially for budgets and special clearances of any funding caps or cost shares.
- Facilitate monitoring and closeout of sub grants, research agreements, professional service agreements, grants, and contracts.
- Help identify all of an award’s compliance requirements for the implementing team and enter into relevant systems.
- Help maintain user-friendly grants and sub-recipient management resources, and train WRI Africa staff on concepts and procedures
- Assist in preparation for annual audits, including review of documentation in support of audit
- Actively contribute to the continued refinement/improvement of policies for ensuring compliance with mandatory requirements.
- Manage sub-grants out of Regional Office as well as to other Project Office partners
- Review, negotiate and manage grant agreements which will be implemented primarily in Africa
- Advise project staff as the administer Africa-based sub-grantees
- Contribute to proposals (ops and budget vetting) with significant levels of anticipated activity or presence in Africa
- Sign agreements and amendments, subject to delegation of authority.
- Conduct sub grantee capacity assessments (due diligence) for subgrantees based in Africa
- Master’s degree required or Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of additional relevant experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of full-time, relevant work experience in grants and contracts administration
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills, in English and French strongly preferred.
- Ability to work effectively across different cultures, countries, and offices
- Prior experience of working in the development field to implement donor-funded projects is essential
- Detail-oriented, particularly with regard to deadlines, laws, donor agreements, and polices
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Team player, and able to work independently
- Strong MS Office skills, including demonstrated experience working with databases
- Patience and perseverance in understanding and explaining issues with program staff
- Grant management software experience preferred
- Desirable to have working knowledge and experience applying Ethiopia and other Africa countries and US Government regulations.
How to apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter. Resume and cover letter must be submitted in English to be considered. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered. Deadline 20th October 2021