In this position, you will support the creation and implementation of a communication and engagement strategy for the broader initiative and for one of WRI’s flagship data initiatives, the Energy Access Explorer. You will schedule and participate in conference calls and meetings to maintain existing network and establish new partnerships In this role you will work closely with a global team including WRI colleagues in East Africa, India and Washington DC, as well as external partners around the world to contribute to the acceleration of energy access.
This is a short- or limited-term position for 12 months.
This position will be located in either Addis, Ethiopia, and Nairobi, Kenya; WRI Africa Regional Office.**
Job Responsibilities: **
Outreach & Engagement (70 % of time required)
- Coordinate and support the development and implementation of the engagement strategy
- Coordinate and support the development of audience specific knowledge products
- Coordinate and support the development of effective outreach material (high quality presentations, publications, blogs, video tutorials, user testimonials, webinars, social media campaigns, convenings, etc.)
- Stay abreast of relevant presentation and funding opportunities and share with the team
- Maintain active communication with focal points in partner countries and organizations
Administrative (30 % of time required)
- Maintain network contacts and engagement tracker spreadsheets
- Keep website and social media up to date
- Coordinate with WRI’s Comms teams
- Copyediting and review of key messaging and research documents
- Coordinate and manage follow-up surveys and correspondence
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant fields (preferably in International Affairs, Political Science, Business Management, International Development, Environmental Sciences, or Communications, or a related field)
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant full time work experience required
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills
- Creative, detail-oriented, and highly organized individual with a strong interest in partnerships, coordination, and communications
- Strong computer skills including high level of comfort with Microsoft Office 365 (proficiency with Sharepoint and Excel is required), web-based communications, and internet research
- Self-motivated with an ability to juggle multiple priorities, handle assignments independently, and work under tight deadlines
- Flexibility, breadth of interests, and willingness to explore unfamiliar issues
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, resiliency, flexibility, and drive.
- Contact database management (preferably Salesforce) experience
- Social Network Analysis and related tools experience
- Event management and logistics experience
- International experience, either through related environmental NGOs or government service
WRI’s vision is for clean energy to be available, affordable and accessible for all the world’s people. Our projects and partnerships make the demand for clean energy visible and actionable. We focus on: (1) mobilizing large energy users such as business and governments to purchase renewable electricity and pursue efficient, zero carbon buildings; (2) shifting and implementing new planning, policies and utility governance to speed deployment of clean and renewable electricity; and (3) improving energy access by identifying and matching unmet demand for energy services, including new finance and clean energy business models to improve development outcomes.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
How to apply:
How to Apply:
How to Apply Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered. All applications must include (a) CV (including a selection of relevant publications) and (b) Cover letter (max. 2 paragraphs), to be formally considered. Resume and cover letter must be submitted in English to be considered. The final candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test. Deadline for applications is 15th October 2021.