Position Summary and Purpose: The Manager of Africa Programs is responsible for management of emergency and development programs in Africa. This position is responsible for ensuring that all Africa programs are implemented in a professional and accountable manner and are aligned with the IOCC Strategic Plan. As a member of IOCC’s Operations Department team, the Manager of Africa Programs participates in the development of organizational and financial plans for Africa operations.
This position is temporarily (up to 24 months) being moved from HQ to Addis to provide greater support to the Ethiopia program in Business Development, representation and networking, and to explore growth opportunities in other African countries. The work will be split into three main areas of effort: 1. Ethiopia Business Development (60%); 2. Project management support (30%); and 3. Africa Regional Business Development.
This position will directly supervise the Ethiopia County Representative and liaise with HQ staff on all Africa related issues.
Through a variety of programming activities, IOCC’s global portfolio focuses on program services in core areas: (1) Agriculture and Food Security; (2) Emergency Response; (3) Health; (4) Water & Sanitation; and (5) Sustainable Livelihoods. The Africa portfolio is focused in East Africa (Ethiopia and Uganda) with programs predominantly in the Health and WASH sector.
Ethiopia is one of the largest and most populous countries in Africa. Currently, a civil war in Tigray, environmental threats (desert locusts, drought) and endemic poverty threaten the well-being of its citizens. This role will be based in Addis Ababa which has reasonably reliable services including health, water, power, and housing as well as good air connections to the rest of Africa and Europe.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
· In coordination with HQ Operations, represent IOCC at various donor, partner, and government fora to increase knowledge of IOCC and its strengths, capacities, and projects, as it relates to Africa.
· Lead visits with high-level donors, IOCC Staff and other guests/visitors to project sites
Leadership and Management
· Provide oversight to the Ethiopia Country Program team to ensure timely and high-quality implementation of relief, early recovery, and development projects in accordance with the mission and goals of IOCC, IOCC and donor regulations, grant agreements and modifications, project timelines, work plans, and budgets to meet project objectives and serve targeted populations.
· Guide country offices in their annual country operation plan (including budgets and staff needs) based on the IOCC Strategic Plan.
· Strategically pursue and grow Africa Programs through new funding opportunities.
· Support (and, as assigned, lead) the concept note and proposal development process from concept inception through submission, including writing and budgeting, including coordination with IOCC HQ Operations team, as outlined in IOCC Business Development Policy.
· Identify specific funding opportunities for IOCC to pursue via web research, meetings with local and international NGO partners, and donors.
· Responsible for Country Operating Plan budgets and managing resources appropriately, as it relates to Africa.
· Manage and supervise the Country Representative directly and the entire field team indirectly according to personnel management system.
· Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of IOCC and donor safety and security procedures and oversee implantation of such procedures at the field level.
· Ensure IOCC project staff adhere to all IOCC and donor mandated safety and security regulations, policies and practices; ensure adherence to those regulations and take corrective actions as required.
· Support ongoing programs including monitoring visits and progress report preparation.
· In Uganda, begin to build out a network of contacts and potential partners for future IOCC programs.
· Gain an understanding of donors, their priorities, and new business opportunities for discussion with HQ staff in other priority countries in Africa.
· In partnership with HQ Operations leadership, research other countries, partners, and donors for IOCC expansion in Africa.
· Manage small church projects.
Minimally Required Education, Experience, and Training:
· Bachelor’s degree; or a combination of education and work experience that yields the minimally required knowledge, skills and abilities. Master’s degree a plus.
· 3 years of experience in Business Development
· 1 year overseas experience (preferably in Africa)
· 1 year experience with direct project management, including experience in budget management, financial management and accountability.
· 2 years of experience in leadership/senior management/supervisory role (can be in combination with above experience)
Physical Requirements and Working Environment:
· Travel required: 40% or less
· This position may require bending, kneeling, crawling, standing, sitting, lifting up to 20 lbs and walking for extended periods of time.
· Standard office environment; mostly sedentary position.
· Frequently works in an office environment and sits at a desk for extended periods of time, and requires dexterity to operate general office equipment
· Infrequent weekend and evening work may be required
· The position requires an awareness at all times of local customs and security situations and conditions.
· Professional dress, behavior, speech, and conduct are required at all times in accordance with IOCC policies.
*Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.